Neck pain doctor Riverdale, MD
Neck pain doctor Riverdale, MD
A Neck Pain Doctor Riverdale, MD Trusts Discusses Tips for Managing Neck and Back Pain
A neck pain doctor in Riverdale, MD knows that many people are all too familiar with the pain that stems from their backs or necks. For some, it creeps up and becomes a dull, throbbing pain that never seems to go away. For others, a quick shift in body position alleviates their pain and it is no longer a worry. However, many people fall into the first category where they are not entirely sure where their pain came from but realize it has become a constant companion. If you suffer from back or neck pain, you are not alone. Unfortunately, back and neck pain can become debilitating, and if you don’t find a remedy for it quickly, it can turn into a chronic condition that prevents you from completing your daily tasks. For more information on what may be causing your neck or back pain and tips for how to manage this pain, read the information compiled by a Maryland neck pain doctor below.
Common Causes of Neck and Back Pain
- Spinal Stenosis. When you suffer from spinal stenosis, the channel that contains your spinal cord and nerves begins to narrow. This is not typically a pain that happens overnight; instead, it happens gradually and the pain can be quite debilitating. Temporarily, a shift in position (from standing to sitting) can help ease your pain. In the long run, however, therapy can show you certain activities and techniques that can relieve your symptoms.
- Herniated Discs. Herniated discs are very common, and when they occur they can cause bad neck and back pain. Many herniated discs occur in the lower portion of your spine, so sciatica in your legs is one of the most common symptoms. Instead of drugs, patients often find great relief through physical therapy that includes stretching, massaging, and exercising.
- Spinal Osteoarthritis. When your joint or disc cartilage begins breaking down, it is known as spinal osteoarthritis. The pain can be quite severe and can even cause bone spurs in your spinal column. Depending on how severe your case is, there are many conservative treatments that a therapist can employ, including physical therapy and hot and cold compresses.
- Strains or Sprains. If your pain has not been lingering and it appears to be very sudden, you may have strained or sprained your neck or back. This can happen from almost anything, including lifting too much weight, conducting rigorous exercises, getting into a car accident, or simply moving your body in the wrong way. However, a neck pain doctor in Riverdale can treat this, and many physical therapists will often encourage including water aerobics to help ease your body while you perform gentle exercises.
- A Vertebral Compression Fracture. This condition can turn severe if you do not pay attention to warning signs, like an inability to stand up straight and sudden intense back pain. However, before opting for severe treatments, you may find a neck doctor can guide you through limited but safe physical activity, provide you with a proper neck or back brace, and recommend bed rest for healing.
There are clearly many reasons that someone can feel neck or back pain, and your physical therapist can recommend the right treatments to help you on your road to recovery. For more information on neck and back pain, contact a Riverdale neck pain doctor from AmeriWell Clinics today.
How a Riverdale, MD Neck Pain Doctor Can Treat Your Neck Pain
Although back and neck pain may subside through medication, most people do not want to be on a pain medication regimen for a long period of time. Pain in the neck and back can be mind numbing. It can impact the way that you function in nearly all aspects of your life. Imagine that despite all efforts, there is nothing you can do to ease the pain that you are in. Unfortunately for many suffering from neck and back pain, this may not be far from the norm. A neck pain doctor in Riverdale, MD may be an option for managing pain, treating the source, and developing a treatment plan that is right for you. Here are some tips you may find helpful when managing back and neck pain:
Tip #1 Chiropractic Care
A neck pain doctor may provide treatments to help manage back and neck pain. A neck pain doctor will work with you to evaluate your symptoms, determine the cause for the problem and treat the issue. Not only do neck pain doctors help to alleviate pain, they can also mitigate the issue. They may utilize a number of methods to help heal injured patients including spinal adjustments, massage, physical therapy and more. A Riverdale, MD neck pain doctor may be able to help get your pain under control so that you are able to have a better quality of life.
Tip #2 Practice Good Posture
By making intentional efforts to improve your posture, you may be able to reduce neck and back pain. Being as conscious as possible to retrain the way you hold yourself can make a world of difference. When you practice good posture, your vertebrae are in proper alignment, reducing the likelihood that you experience issues. Neck and back pain isn’t always the result of an injury or accident, it can also be produced from years of poor posture. A few easy ways to start improving your posture are to: (1) work on your posture (2) engage in healthy physical activity and (3) maintain a healthy weight.
Tip #3 Be Aware of Tech Neck
Tech neck is increasingly becoming a problem amongst many in today’s society. When significant time is spent looking at a computer screen or cradling a cell phone, tech neck may be a terrible consequence. Tech neck can cause soreness in the neck, back and shoulders and can get worse if nothing is done to mitigate it.
Tip #4 Stretch Your Back and Neck
Many see significant improvements in neck and back pain when they engage in regular stretching of the affected areas. Neck and back pain can be better managed when stretching becomes a regularly practiced activity. Not only can stretching assist in prolonging a chiropractor’s adjustments, it can also help pain to be more manageable.
If you are suffering from pain, visiting a Maryland neck pain doctor may be a viable solution. At times, chiropractic care can be seen as a last resort, something to try when all else has failed. By working with a neck pain doctor early on or closely following an injury, you may save yourself a lot of trouble. Contact a neck pain doctor Riverdale, MD patients recommend from AmeriWell Clinics to discuss with them treatment options that may help alleviate the back and neck pain you are suffering from.