Preparing For Physical Therapy
An Alexandria, VA news article discusses the economic value of physical therapy in the United States and discusses the findings of a new study by the American Physical Therapy Association. The study found that physical therapy can save the U.S. healthcare system millions of dollars annually. It also found that physical therapy can help Americans live better lives.
Important points from the study are that physical therapy is cost-effective and can help with a variety of conditions. The study also found that physical therapy can be beneficial for people of all ages and that physical therapy can save the U.S. healthcare system $6.3 billion annually by reducing the need for surgery and other expensive medical procedures. It also found that physical therapy can help Americans live better lives by improving their quality of life and reducing their pain and disability.
The study’s findings are significant because they provide evidence of the economic value of physical therapy. This evidence can be used to advocate for policies that support access to physical therapy services.
Preparing For Your First Physical Therapy Appointment
Your first Falls Church, VA physical therapy appointment will typically consist of an evaluation and the start of your treatment plan. The evaluation will help your physical therapist to understand your condition, your goals for therapy, and your current level of function.
What To Expect During The Evaluation:
- Paperwork: You will likely be asked to fill out some paperwork, including a medical history form and a questionnaire about your current symptoms and limitations.
- Physical examination: Your physical therapist will perform a physical examination to assess your range of motion, strength, flexibility, and balance.
- Discussion: You will have a chance to discuss your condition and goals for therapy with your physical therapist.
What To Expect During The Treatment Plan:
Once your physical therapist has completed the evaluation, they will develop a personalized treatment plan for you. The treatment plan will be designed to help you achieve your goals for therapy and improve your overall function.
Your treatment plan may include a variety of different components, such as:
- Exercises: Exercise is a key component of most physical therapy treatment plans. Your physical therapist will teach you specific exercises to help you improve your range of motion, strength, flexibility, and balance.
- Manual therapy: Manual therapy is a hands-on approach to physical therapy that can be used to reduce pain, improve range of motion, and decrease muscle tension.
- Modalities: Modalities are physical agents, such as heat, ice, electrical stimulation, and ultrasound, that can be used to reduce pain, inflammation, and swelling.
- Education: Your physical therapist will also educate you about your condition and how to manage it on your own. This may include teaching you how to perform exercises at home, how to use assistive devices, and how to modify your activities to avoid pain and injury.
Overall, you can expect your first physical therapy appointment to be a positive experience. Your physical therapist will be there to help you understand your condition, develop a personalized treatment plan, and achieve your goals for therapy. Call AmeriWell Clinics to set up your appointment today.